Saturday, July 26, 2008

A bit of Canadiana in Tokyo

About six months or so ago I found an interesting cookbook in a local used book shop, The Blue Parrot in Takadanobaba. Much to my surprise they had "Out of Old Nova Scotia Kitchens" in the cookbook section. The book was written in 1970 and my version was published in 1979. This particular book was actually a wedding gift to someone named Pam from her Aunt Bea - the card is still taped to the inside of the front cover. I felt that as a Canadian, I should buy it. It is filled not only with good recipes but, anecdotes, historical info and old jokes as well. I just picked it up and started reading it last night. There are a few great recipes in there - especially since my mom sent me home with cream of tartar last time I visited. A lot of old recipes used baking soda and cream of tartar for leavening before the invention of baking powder. A little piece of history in the heart of Tokyo. I have never been to Nova Scotia but I still felt a strong connection to a lot of the foods as I grew up eating moder versions of them. なつかしいな~。

That cookbook inspired me to pick up a new cookbook that my mother gave me recently. I had only flipped through in and must have seen lots of recipes with ingredients that I cannot buy in Japan because I hadn't picked it up since I first looked through it. I started to look through and found lots of interesting recipes with anecdotes from Premiers and other government types. The cookbook was created to raise money for the 2007 WD Workplace Charitable Campaign by Western Economic Diversification Canada. There are tonnes of recipes that I can make and a lot that remind me of home. I can't wait until winter to try a lot of them out. There is an onion salad that looks good. I don't actually like onions but I think my onion-loving husband and his family will enjoy it. If I can handle the smell, I will make it and post the recipe and pics.

No comments: