Tuesday, July 29, 2008

I can't rank things

One of my clients was late today so I had a bit of time to write in my notebook. While doing so I came to a realization that I severely dislike ranking things. It doesn't really matter what it is - I have a hard time doing it. I think I have a hard time separating things from their context which is needed to rank. This realization came in the middle of reading Sputnik Sweetheart by Haruki Murakami. While journaling I started to wonder what my favorite character in the book is. I couldn't decide. Not because I like them all so much but because they are just a part of the story - they are just an element. Then I tried to think of my favorite character from fiction - also couldn't do it. Then I got curious about my lack of ability to choose a favorite character because of context. I decided to take a step back and do something like make a top ten drink list. Sounds easy enough, right? I found it took a while and I only got up to six and they rankings are deeply related to the context. I even had to do a formal brainstorming session.

Top Six Drinks
  1. Water - the only beverage I enjoy any time, any place- especially during and immediately after a workout or when I first wake up in the morning.
  2. Lemon water - cool but not cold, in a nice water glass with a stem, drunk while sitting on the couch
  3. Peppermint tea - when the tea is cold on a hot day
  4. Hot tea - with a bit of honey - drunk on a cold day when the room is cold and I can warm my hands on the mug while reading a book
  5. Sangria at Bar ChitChat - drunk while chatting with friends but only if there are no smokers near
  6. Blue Raspberry Slurpee/slushie - While driving on a hot day with the windows down and music blaring - especially on highway 21 between Fort Saskatchewan and Sherwood Park or highway 15 between Fort Saskatchewan and Edmonton

No comments: